Up to 75% of the net revenue raised from the Komen Southeast Wisconsin Race for the Cure®, special events, and the generosity of individual and corporate donors are distributed right back into southeastern Wisconsin. The remaining 25% directly supports Komen’s National Research Grant Program.
Committed to caring for those coping with breast cancer while trying to rid future generations of the disease, Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, the world’s leading breast cancer organization, recently announced $60 million in research grants to U.S. and international scientists. In its 27 years, Komen for the Cure has invested more than $400 million in life-saving research that has touched every major advance in breast cancer treatment and care. “Cancer research has been the cornerstone of our organization since our very first year, and despite the downturn in the economy, our pledge to fund quality research remains unabated. Breast cancer doesn’t care about the economy, and with more than 1.3 million new cases of breast cancer expected this year, the need for new and continuing cancer research is more urgent than ever,” said Hala Moddelmog, Komen’s CEO and President.
The wide spectrum of research to be funded this year by Komen’s National Research Grants Program includes the following:
For a complete listing of research grants approved by Komen's national board of directors click here.
The Southeast Wisconsin Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® is a grant-making organization. As one of a network of more than 125 affiliates around the country, the Southeast Wisconsin Affiliate contributes to the Komen mission by awarding funds to not-for-profit organizations that provide innovative, non-duplicative breast health and breast cancer services directly to the medically underserved, uninsured, or underinsured individuals. The Komen Southeast Wisconsin Affiliate is organized by more than one hundred volunteers. This enables the affiliate to keep its administrative costs as low as possible and allows the organization to fund many worthy programs that provide assistance to women who have traditionally been medically underserved. Our affiliate is reaching into surrounding communities to keep the subject of breast cancer high in the public consciousness. Since 1999, Komen Southeast Wisconsin Affiliate has raised over $4 million toward local education, screening, and treatment for underserved women and national research.
Through our Community Health Grants program, we award grants to non-profit organizations providing breast cancer screening and treatment as well as breast health education in one of the following eight counties: Jefferson, Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Walworth, Washington, and Waukesha. We are currently funding 11 innovative projects totaling $909,789.91. Applications are available each September.
Our net proceeds will target local grant programs that promote:
1. Early detection through increased breast cancer screening: evidence-based, culturally competent education and outreach to women age 40 and over* who have not received breast cancer screening within the last 12 months, to increase the number of these women who obtain regular screening mammograms and clinical breast exams (CBEs).
2. Early detection through increased diagnostic breast care: funding of diagnostic breast care (diagnostic mammography, ultrasound, biopsy, etc) for uninsured/underinsured women at any age who have signs or symptoms of breast cancer (e.g. lump) or who have had an abnormal screening mammogram AND do not qualify for subsidized programs.
3. Eliminating barriers to breast cancer care: provide safety net medically-related financial aid up to $2,500 for uninsured/underinsured women up to 400% of the federal poverty level on a sliding scale based on need before the diagnosis of breast cancer and during treatment using the Komen Southeast Wisconsin Breast Health Assistance Fund.
Komen Southeast Wisconsin Affiliate does not determine individual eligibility, make referrals, influence the screening or treatment decisions, of the organizations we fund.
If you have any questions, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.